Throughout 2020, the Wisconsin SBDC’s 40th anniversary, the network is shining a spotlight on the talented team that makes our work possible.
- Year started with the SBDC: 2017
- Something exciting in her job right now: Anne is excited to see new and creative programming coming to the UW-Madison SBDC, being developed largely to meet client needs in light of COVID. Returning to the physical office soon is one of Anne’s hopes as well. She misses the energy and comradery of seeing her team, students and clients face to face.
- Favorite way to spend time in the community: Volunteering and attending Badger games are some one of Anne’s favorite activities. She also loves the farmers’ markets, restaurants and other elements of Madison’s food scene.
- COVID effects: Pre-COVID, Anne worked heavily with start-ups, so is thrilled to begin to see clients again who are business planning for new start-up even during this pandemic. She also feels especially good when she can help those existing businesses struggling due to the virus react to the current crisis, getting online where needed, pivoting toward new offerings and using innovation to reopen.
- Recent professional development: At the recent WI Tech Council Entrepreneur Conference, keynote speaker Brian Pinkerton (Chief Architect – Siri, Apple) emphasized two things that resonated with Anne. First, when thinking about our work and what we build, Brian encouraged listeners to do something that’s important to you, and to do it in a way that aligns with your values. He also encouraged the audience to approach that important work with an iterative mindset. This point of view resonated with Anne personally and professionally as she helps clients to start lean so they can learn and pivot quickly to succeed.
- Recommended podcasts: NPR’s How I Built This offers great stories of different entrepreneurs’ beginnings. Stuff You Missed in History Class discusses informal, informative and sometimes strange insights.
- Happiest when: Time with family is important to Anne, and she especially enjoys going to her sons’ high school sporting events and spending time boating on the lake.
- Something enjoyed at SBDC: Anne really loves forging relationships with the Badger Consultants. She pairs students in this group with SBDC clients and they work interactively to help define scope of work, perform market research and create a work product.
- Quote from Michelle Somes-Booher: “We are so glad to have Anne on our team! We appreciate her keen insights, thoughtful and intelligent consulting with clients, collaboration with stakeholders and positive attitude. Anne truly cares about the mission of the SBDC.”
Learn more about Anne Inman in her full bio.
See all of our staff spotlights and 40th Anniversary celebrations, as well as all of our team bios across our 13 centers.